Home
/
Isiam
/
Islamic World
/
UN: Clashes in Iraq's Anbar displaced 300,000
UN: Clashes in Iraq's Anbar displaced 300,000
May 18, 2026 7:01 AM

  Violence in Iraq's Sunni-dominated Anbar province, where armed groups fully control one city and parts of another, has displaced up to 300,000 people in six weeks, the United Nations has said.

  The province has been hit by a surge in fighting between pro- and anti-government forces that began at the end of last year, as Iraq suffers its worst violence since 2008.

  "Over the last six weeks up to 300,000 Iraqis - some 50,000 families - have been displaced due to insecurity around Fallujah and Ramadi" in Anbar, a UN refugee agency statement released on Tuesday said.

  "Most of the displaced have fled to outlying communities in Anbar province to escape the fighting, while 60,000 persons have fled to more distant provinces," according to the statement summarizing remarks by spokeswoman Melissa Fleming in Geneva.

  The displaced Iraqis join more than 1.1 million compatriots who fled violence in past years and have still not returned to their homes.

  The UN said last month the number of people displaced by the fighting in Anbar was already the highest since the brutal sectarian violence of 2006-2008.

  The crisis in the western desert province erupted in late December with clashes in the Ramadi area when security forces dismantled Iraq's main Sunni-Arab anti-government protest camp, which was near the city.

  With Iraq's once-Sunni minority accusing the Shia-led government of Nouri al-Maliki of discrimination, Sunni armed groups exploited the political rift and subsequently seized parts of Ramadi, the provincial capital, and all of Fallujah to its west, just a short drive from Baghdad.

  It is the first time anti-government forces have exercised such open control since the peak of the deadly violence that followed the 2003 US-led invasion.

  Anbar Governor Ahmed al-Dulaimi at the weekend gave fighters in Fallujah a week to surrender, but said authorities would not negotiate with those involved in the violence.

  While government forces have made steady progress in retaking areas of Ramadi, they have largely stayed out of Fallujah for fear that an incursion would lead to a drawn-out urban conflict with high numbers of casualties.

  Fallujah was a bastion of the Sunni insurgency following the invasion, and American forces there saw some of their heaviest fighting since the Vietnam War.

  There have been calls for the Shia-led government to address Sunni grievances in order to undermine support for fighters, but with April elections looming, Prime Minister al-Maliki has taken a hard line.

  PHOTO CAPTION

  A file photo of masked anti-government gunmen hold their weapons as they patrol Fallujah, Iraq.

  Source: Aljazeera.com

Comments
Welcome to mreligion comments! Please keep conversations courteous and on-topic. To fosterproductive and respectful conversations, you may see comments from our Community Managers.
Sign up to post
Sort by
Show More Comments
Islamic World
Raed Jarrar's detention by Israel raises alarm
  A leading human rights group has raised the alarm over an incident it fears is an indication of the Israeli authorities' growing intolerance of dissent.   Last week, Raed Jarrar, advocacy director for the Middle East and North Africa division of Amnesty International USA, was stopped at the Allenby crossing between...
Mordechai: Israel holds two Palestinian bodies
  Israel is holding the bodies of two Palestinians killed by its snipers near the border with the besieged Gaza Strip, an Israeli official confirmed on Sunday.   Yoav Mordechai said Israel will not return the bodies of the two Palestinians until the remains of two Israeli soldiers killed during Israel's war...
Entire Bedouin village faced with forced displacement
  An entire village consisting of dozens of Palestinian Bedouin families is threatened with imminent forced displacement, after Israel issued a rare evacuation order for the whole community.   Jabal al-Baba, which lies to the east of Jerusalem in the occupied West Bank, is home to more than 300 people.   "Residents are...
Hundreds of patients await evacuation in E. Ghouta
  Hundreds of patients are awaiting evacuation from Syria's Eastern Ghouta, which is besieged by the Bashar al-Assad regime.   Many babies and children have lost their lives in the area due to hunger and lack of medicines.   Assad regime, which has intensified its siege on Eastern Ghouta in the last eight...
How Israel occupies education in East Jerusalem
  The Zahwat al-Quds kindergarten and primary school's walls are decorated with colourful cartoons, while its students are dressed in grey-and-red striped uniforms.   The children's wide smiles and laughter echo through the hallways, belying their lingering anxiety after a recent Israeli raid on the school.   At the start of the school...
1,389 civilians killed in Syria in February: Watchdog
  At least 1,389 civilians have been killed in conflicts across war-torn Syria in February 2018, according to a report published by the Syrian Network for Human Rights (SNHR).   The London-based rights group said in a monthly report released on Thursday that 67 percent of the victims were killed by the...
More than 465,000 killed in Syria, refugee group says
  More than 465,000 civilians have been killed in Syria’s six-year war, a refugee rights group said Saturday.   Abdullah Resul Demir, deputy chairman of the International Refugee Rights Organization, said the fatalities had been caused during fighting or in prison.   “The century’s most serious human rights violations have been going on...
Syrian refugees 'at risk of being pushed to return'
  Aid agencies have warned that hundreds of thousands of Syrians are at risk of being pushed to return in 2018, despite ongoing violence in the Middle Eastern country.   The warning was issued by six humanitarian agencies amid what they called a "global anti-refugee backlash", harsher conditions in regional countries who...
An extraordinary city in the Islamic conquest: Bukhara
  The first conquest of the historical Bukhara city by the Muslims was in 674 by the governor of Khorasan, Ubeydullah Bin Ziyad. But only 30 years later, the Islamic ruling of the city was achieved. After Kuteybe Bin Muslim the new governor of Khorasan breaking the resistance of the Turkish...
2nd largest mosque in Central Asia accommodates 10,000
  Khazret Sultan Mosque in Astana can accommodate up to 10,000 worshippers and stands as one of the Kazakh capital’s most unique and magnificent buildings.   Built on 27-acres of land, it is the second largest mosque after Turkmenbasy Ruhy Mosque in Turkmenistan’s capital Ashgabat and has been attracting tourists since 2012....
Related Classification
Copyright 2023-2026 - www.mreligion.com All Rights Reserved