Home
/
Isiam
/
Islamic World
/
Report demands US probe Yemen drone strike
Report demands US probe Yemen drone strike
May 22, 2026 5:06 PM

  US policy on drone strikes has been questioned by a rights group who say a strike on a wedding procession killed civilians, not al-Qaeda fighters, as previously claimed by US officials.

  Rights group Human Rights Watch (HRW) published a 28-page report on Thursday that said all the victims of a December 2013 drone strike were civilians, citing witnesses and relatives of the victims. The strike in the city of Radaa in Yemen's central province of al-Bayda killed 12 people and seriously injured 14 others.

  The findings "raises serious concerns about US forces’ compliance with President Barack Obama’s targeted killing policy," the report said, demanding an investigation.

  Though it said the convoy of vehicles that was hit by the strike was a wedding party, the report also said the procession, "may have included members of AQAP (Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula), although it is not clear who they were or what was their fate.

  "However the conflicting accounts, as well as actions of relatives and provincial authorities, suggest that some, if not all those killed and wounded were civilians."

  Speaking anonymously to the Associated Press news agency in December, US and Yemeni officials said the strike targeted a mid-level leader of AQAP. Later reports suggested that the intended target, Shawqui Ali Ahmed al-Badani, was wounded and had escaped.

  'Internal investigation'

  The US has not officially acknowledged the strike on the wedding party, but NBC News reported that the Obama administration had launched an internal investigation.

  Caitlin Hayden, a White House national security spokesperson, told Al Jazeera late on Wednesday that the Yemeni government has said the intended targets of the strike were senior AQAP fighters.

  She reiterated US government policy on drone strikes, announced last May, saying it takes, "extraordinary care to make sure that counterterrorism actions are in accordance with all applicable domestic and international law".

  "There must be near-certainty that no civilians will be killed or injured – the highest standard we can set. And when we believe that civilians may have been killed, we investigate thoroughly," she said.

  Hayden added that condolence payments were made in cases where it was concluded that civilians were killed.

  But Letta Tayler, HRW's senior terrorism and counterterrorism researcher and author of the report, told Al Jazeera they had not seen any evidence of US compensation, and that the attack contradicted Obama's policy.

  "The likelihood of civilian casualties in this attack raises serious questions about whether US forces are complying with President Obama’s policy that the US only strikes when it has ‘near-certainty’ that no civilians will be harmed," she said.

  "We welcome President Obama’s policies but we have no way of knowing if they are being applied in practice," said Tayler.

  The rights group published the names of all the victims of that strike and also of those injured, all of them civilians according to relatives.

  'Loss of confidence'

  Yemeni families affected by the strike have told Al Jazeera that no investigation has been carried out by either government.

  Baraa Shiban, a human rights researcher working with UK-based rights group Reprieve, told Al Jazeera the strike "led to the loss of confidence amongst the people with the Yemeni Government."

  "Now, [the US] for many people is a drone, a Hellfire missile and burned bodies and cars," he told Al Jazeera.

  In a previous interview with Al Jazeera, Baraa, who was the first human rights worker to document the incident, said he received anonymous death threats after his investigation.

  White House spokesperson Hayden told Al Jazeera that any investigations into civilian casualties from drone strikes would not be made public but are made available to committees in the US Congress for review.

  Footage and photographs taken after the strike show the men were carrying rifles, which is common in some Arab weddings.

  PHOTO CAPTION

  Yemeni residents show the remnants of missiles that struck the wedding party

  Aljazeera.com

Comments
Welcome to mreligion comments! Please keep conversations courteous and on-topic. To fosterproductive and respectful conversations, you may see comments from our Community Managers.
Sign up to post
Sort by
Show More Comments
Islamic World
Yemen report highlights turmoil's human cost
  At least 7,000 people were killed in Yemen in 2014, including at least 1,200 civilians, three times the level of deaths from when the current turmoil began in 2011, according to a Yemeni think-tank's report.   It is now thought that Shia Houthi fighters are controlling about 70 percent of army's...
200 Palestinian minors jailed in Israel
  The Palestinian Prisoners Society said in a statement "Most of the Palestinian minors are detained in Ofer detention center near Ramallah and Megiddo and Sharon prisons in northern Israel."   Two female minors, aged 16 and 17, are detained in Israeli Hasharon prison, the release said.   According to the NGO, arrest...
Poverty and conflict affect Lebanese youth
  Lebanese youth in Tripoli suburbs are becoming increasingly used to conflict in rising sectarian distrust and violence.   "People get used to war. During the last battle, children were still coming to play. Can you imagine, a seven-year-old boy running through the bullets just to play video games," says Mohammad Darwish,...
15,000 new Jewish settlers in W. Bank in 2014
  More than 15,000 Israelis moved to Jewish-only settlements located in the Israeli-occupied West Bank over the course of 2014, an Israeli official said Friday.   "Interior Ministry figures, showing that Judea-Samaria [the Jewish name for the West Bank] currently has nearly 400,000 Israelis, demonstrates [that] settlement in Judea-Samaria is an irreversible...
HRW: Use of barrel bombs increasing in Syria
  Human Rights Watch says it has evidence that Syrian regime forces have carried out hundreds of indiscriminate attacks over the past year with air-delivered munitions, including improvised weapons such as barrel bombs.   The US-based group says the attacks have had a devastating impact on civilians, killing or injuring thousands of...
Many Egyptians fearful in Ramadan amid new ‘security measures’
  As Egyptian Muslims flock to mosques to perform taraweeh, a special nightly prayer only performed during Ramadan, many say they are avoiding prominent mosques for fear of harassment by security forces in a country dogged by political unrest since President Mohamed Morsi was ousted in a 2013 military coup.   “This...
Israeli troops told to 'kill on sight' in Gaza war
  An Israeli NGO expressed concern on Monday over the Israeli army's "indiscriminate fire" policy against Palestinians after collecting testimony suggesting that soldiers were ordered to "kill on sight" during last summer's military onslaught on the Gaza Strip.   In a Sunday statement, Breaking the Silence, an Israeli NGO, said that testimonies...
Displaced by Israel, Palestinians settle in caves
  Scores of Palestinians in the occupied West Bank have made homes out of mountain caves on the outskirts of Al-Khalil (Hebron) city, as Israel continues to prevent them from building homes on territories earmarked for Jewish-only settlements.   "We have tried to build homes with bricks and cement, but the Israeli...
Palestinians 'imprisoned' by Rafah closure
  Razan al-Halaqawi was too ill to spend weeks waiting for Egypt to open the Gaza Strip's main crossing in Rafah.   The crossing has been closed to residents looking to exit Gaza since October 25; in the intervening days, Egypt has opened the crossing just once in one direction for two...
Israeli soldier: ‘We bombed civilians for entertainment’
  According to an article written in Days of Palestine, an Israeli soldier has given his account of the events that occurred during the attacks on Gaza in July 2014.   Known as Operation Protective Edge, the soldier described how they were ordered by their unit commander and were free to shoot,...
Related Classification
Copyright 2023-2026 - www.mreligion.com All Rights Reserved