Home
/
Isiam
/
Politics & Economics
/
In west Mosul, 'nowhere is safe for civilians'
In west Mosul, 'nowhere is safe for civilians'
Aug 31, 2025 12:19 PM

  The Iraqi army on Sunday resumed operations in Mosul after a one-day pause, amid growing concerns over an escalating civilian death toll as fierce fighting reaches the city's most densely populated areas.

  The offensive was briefly put on hold after local officials and residents in west Mosul said suspected US-led coalition air raids last week had killed scores of civilians al-Jadida district.

  Security forces on Saturday did not permit journalists to get where the strikes were said to have taken place, but the coalition admitted that it had struck the area on March 17, and said it was investigating the reports of civilian deaths.

  What exactly happened on March 17 remains unclear and details are difficult to confirm as Iraqi forces battle with ISIL to recapture the heavily populated parts of the western half of Mosul.

  Witnesses and local officials say more than 200 bodies have been pulled from a collapsed building after a coalition air raid.

  Al Jazeera's Hoda Abdel-Hamid, reporting from a hospital in Erbil, northern Iraq, spoke to people who confirmed they had lost family members on the air raids of March 17.

  "We've been speaking to some of the patients and certainly the words air strikes come up a lot in the conversation," she said, referencing a man who said 22 of his relatives had been killed in an air raid, while he had to spend several days under the rubble before being rescued.

  'Brutal fighting'

  The US-backed offensive to drive ISIL out of Mosul, now in its sixth month, has recaptured most of the city. The entire eastern side and about half of the west is under Iraqi control.

  But advances have stuttered in the past two weeks as fighting enters the narrow alleys of the Old City, home to the al-Nuri Mosque where ISIL group's leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi declared a caliphate spanning large areas of Iraq and Syria in 2014.

  However, Iraqi forces have also frequently fired mortar rounds and unguided rockets during the battle for west

  Mosul - weapons that pose a much greater risk to residents of areas where fighting is taking place.

  Hundreds of thousands of civilians are still inside the Old City and exposed to the intense fighting.

  "Patients here say there is nowhere safe in western Mosul for civilians," Al Jazeera's Abdel-Hamid, reporting from the hospital in Erbil, said.

  "They say the fight in western Mosul is not the same as the fight that happened in the east part of the city. They say it's much more brutal, with many more air strikes and much more shelling."

  According to Iraqi authorities, more than 200,000 people have fled west Mosul since the operation to retake the area was launched on February 19.

  But the United Nations has said that around 600,000 are still present inside the city.

  Caroline Gluck, a senior public information officer in Iraq with the UN's refugee agency, said the situation is deteriorating daily.

  "The fighting is coming closer to people's home. It's a very densely-packed area, particularly in the Old City, so families have been terrified by the mortars, the shelling and the air strikes," she told Al Jazeera from Baghdad.

  Gluck said a major factor in many residents' "very difficult decision" to flee is growing hunger.

  "Families have told us they rely on one meal a day and that meal is really just water and flour. People are getting desperate; there is no fuel, no heating, and they are burning furniture and old rugs to try and stay warm."

  PHOTO CAPTION

  Displaced Iraqis who had fled their homes wait to enter Hammam al-Alil camp south of Mosul, Iraq. REUTERS

  Aljazeera.com

Comments
Welcome to mreligion comments! Please keep conversations courteous and on-topic. To fosterproductive and respectful conversations, you may see comments from our Community Managers.
Sign up to post
Sort by
Show More Comments
Politics & Economics
Little change for Bangladesh factory workers
  What once was her right arm is now just a stub lying limp next to her torso. She sits with a far-away look in her eyes and a sad smile. Morium Begum was working inside Rana Plaza when it collapsed, in what has been dubbed the deadliest garment factory accident...
Amnesty condemns abuse of refugee rights
  The rights of millions of refugees and migrants have been abused in the past year, Amnesty International has said in its annual report on global human rights.   The London-based rights group said on Wednesday that state authorities and employers were equally responsible for the suffering of vulnerable groups.   "The world...
Israelis pleased with Egypt coup
  Israel's government avoided any show of satisfaction on Thursday over the ouster of Egypt's Mohamed Mursi, an Islamist president who alarmed many in the Jewish state but quickly made clear he would not renege on a peace treaty.   A spokesman for Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu declined to comment on Mursi's...
What’s behind the protests in Turkey?
  Turkey has been at the center of global media attention due to protests across the country in recent weeks.   Demonstrators have expressed frustration with policies of the ruling party, which led to clashes with police in Istanbul's Gezi Park adjacent to the city's Taksim Square.   Al Jazeera's Jamal El Shayyal...
UN: Syrian refugee numbers cross two million
  More than two million Syrians have now fled their war-ravaged country, according to the UN refugee agency, marking the nearly 10-fold increase from a year ago.   In addition to the two million Syrians living as refugees, another 4.25 million people have been displaced within the country since the regime crackdown...
Israel prisoner release sparks re-arrest fear
  Palestinians fear many detainees scheduled for release will only have a brief taste of freedom.   Dalia Hatuqa Last Modified: 12 Aug 2013 15:17   Listen to this page using ReadSpeaker   Email Article   Print Article   Share article   Send Feedback   In 2011, 1,027 Palestinian prisoners were freed in exchange for Israeli soldier Gilad...
Exclusive: US bankrolled anti-Morsi activists
  President Barack Obama recently stated the United States was not taking sides as Egypt's crisis came to a head with the military overthrow of the democratically elected president.   But a review of dozens of US federal government documents shows Washington has quietly funded senior Egyptian opposition figures who called for...
UK urged to speed up detainee torture probes
  The UN torture watchdog has called on the UK to widen and speed up investigations into allegations that British forces tortured detainees in Iraq and Afghanistan and prosecute those responsible.   British inquiries into alleged abuses by its forces in Iraq since the US-led invasion in 2003 have been slow and...
Occupation costs Palestinians 'billions'
  The Palestinian economy could expand by over a third if Israel were to lift its restrictions on about 60 percent of the West Bank that it controls, the World Bank said.   "More than half the land in the West Bank, much of it agricultural and resource rich, is inaccessible to...
Malnutrition stunts millions of lives: UNICEF
  Some 165 million children worldwide are stunted by malnutrition as babies and face a future of ill health, poor education, low earnings and poverty, the head of the United Nations children's fund said on Friday.   Anthony Lake, executive director of UNICEF, told Reuters the problem of malnutrition is vastly under-appreciated,...
Related Classification
Copyright 2023-2025 - www.mreligion.com All Rights Reserved