Home
/
Isiam
/
Politics & Economics
/
Famine declared in part of South Sudan's Unity state
Famine declared in part of South Sudan's Unity state
Aug 31, 2025 12:23 PM

  Famine has been declared in two counties of South Sudan, according to an announcement by the South Sudan government and three UN agencies, which says the calamity is the result of prolonged civil war and an entrenched economic crisis that has devastated the war-torn East African nation.

  The official classification of famine highlights the human suffering caused by South Sudan's three-year civil war and even as it is declared President Salva Kiir's government is blocking food aid to some areas, according to UN officials.

  More than 100,000 people in two counties of Unity state are experiencing famine and there are fears it will spread as an additional one million South Sudanese are on the brink of starvation, said the announcement.

  "The concern is not just about the 100,000 civilians that are facing famine at the moment," said Al Jazeera's Hiba Morgan, reporting from Juba. "There are about one million more people that are on the brink of famine.

  "Also, one out of every three households in South Sudan is currently facing food insecurity."

  "Our worst fears have been realized," said Serge Tissot, head of the Food and Agriculture Organization in South Sudan.

  He said the war has disrupted the otherwise fertile country, causing civilians to rely on "whatever plants they can find and fish they can catch".

  'Man-made famine'

  Roughly 5.5 million people, or about 50 percent of South Sudan's population, are expected to be severely food insecure and at risk of death in the coming months, said the report.

  It added that nearly three-quarters of all households in the country suffer from inadequate food.

  If food aid does not reach children urgently "many of them will die," said Jeremy Hopkins, head of the UN children's agency in South Sudan.

  Over 250,000 children are severely malnourished Hopkins said, meaning they are at risk of death.

  It is not the first time South Sudan has experienced starvation. When it fought for independence from Sudan in 1998, the territory suffered from a famine spurred by civil war.

  Anywhere from 70,000 to several hundred thousand people died during that famine. But Monday's declaration of starvation is solely South Sudan's creation, and a UN official blamed the country's politicians for the humanitarian crisis.

  "This famine is man-made," said Joyce Luma, head of the World Food Programme in South Sudan. "There is only so much that humanitarian assistance can achieve in the absence of meaningful peace and security."

  "This famine is not caused by draught, it is not caused by floods," Al Jazeera's Morgan said. "It is basically caused by the conflict which resulted in a collapsing economy."

  "The conflict made it impossible for many people to farm, especially in the equatorial regions, which was previously stable until the conflict broke out in July."

  Nowhere else has civil war caused such a drastic decline in South Sudan's food security than in Central Equatoria state, according to the report.

  Traditionally South Sudan's breadbasket, Central Equatoria has been hit by fighting and ethnically targeted killings that began in July 2016 and have displaced over half a million residents and disrupted agricultural production.

  South Sudan's widespread hunger has been compounded by an economic crisis, as well. South Sudan is experiencing severe inflation, which has made food unaffordable for many families.

  "There is 800 percent inflation in this country at the moment, food market prices have become unaffordable for a lot of people," Al Jazeera's Morgan said.

  When The Associated Press news agency visited the western town of Aweil in September, the price of food had risen ten-fold in the previous 12 months.

  Although it is not as significant as the effects of war and inflation, some of South Sudan's hunger crisis is the direct result of the government's action.

  South Sudanese government officials have blocked or placed constraints on the delivery of food aid to areas of the country, according to a UN official who insisted on anonymity because of lack of authorization to speak to the media.

  But Al Jazeera's Morgan said the reason behind the lack of humanitarian access is a lot complicated.

  "There is fighting between the government and various armed groups," she said.

  "So it is quite hard to bring humanitarian aid to the areas affected by this famine. Humanitarian organizations do not know who is operating some parts of the country at any given time, they don't know how to communicate with people in charge, and this causes some kind of a barrier for humanitarian aid."

  South Sudan's rural demographics is also an obstacle in front of food aid, Morgan said.

  "Most civilians are basically in the bush, most of South Sudan's population, 70 percent, is in the bush. It is very hard for the aid to reach these people."

  On Monday, the UN agencies said that unimpeded humanitarian access "is urgently needed".

  Tens of thousands of people have died since civil war broke out in December 2013, and the UN warns that South Sudan is at risk of genocide.

  Since fighting in the capital of Juba killed hundreds of people in July, the war has uprooted more than three million people.

  UN officials have contested that hunger in South Sudan is even more shocking because of the country's fertile land conditions. During her farewell briefing in November as head of the UN mission, Ellen Loj said that South Sudan has the resources and climate to feed itself.

  "When I am flying up country, I am always surprised to see all that fertile land and there is not anything," Loj said.

  "You could feed yourself plenty and I hope peace will come to South Sudan."

  Source: Aljazeera.com

Comments
Welcome to mreligion comments! Please keep conversations courteous and on-topic. To fosterproductive and respectful conversations, you may see comments from our Community Managers.
Sign up to post
Sort by
Show More Comments
Politics & Economics
Israelis pleased with Egypt coup
  Israel's government avoided any show of satisfaction on Thursday over the ouster of Egypt's Mohamed Mursi, an Islamist president who alarmed many in the Jewish state but quickly made clear he would not renege on a peace treaty.   A spokesman for Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu declined to comment on Mursi's...
Exclusive: US bankrolled anti-Morsi activists
  President Barack Obama recently stated the United States was not taking sides as Egypt's crisis came to a head with the military overthrow of the democratically elected president.   But a review of dozens of US federal government documents shows Washington has quietly funded senior Egyptian opposition figures who called for...
UN: Syrian refugee numbers cross two million
  More than two million Syrians have now fled their war-ravaged country, according to the UN refugee agency, marking the nearly 10-fold increase from a year ago.   In addition to the two million Syrians living as refugees, another 4.25 million people have been displaced within the country since the regime crackdown...
Little change for Bangladesh factory workers
  What once was her right arm is now just a stub lying limp next to her torso. She sits with a far-away look in her eyes and a sad smile. Morium Begum was working inside Rana Plaza when it collapsed, in what has been dubbed the deadliest garment factory accident...
Amnesty condemns abuse of refugee rights
  The rights of millions of refugees and migrants have been abused in the past year, Amnesty International has said in its annual report on global human rights.   The London-based rights group said on Wednesday that state authorities and employers were equally responsible for the suffering of vulnerable groups.   "The world...
UK urged to speed up detainee torture probes
  The UN torture watchdog has called on the UK to widen and speed up investigations into allegations that British forces tortured detainees in Iraq and Afghanistan and prosecute those responsible.   British inquiries into alleged abuses by its forces in Iraq since the US-led invasion in 2003 have been slow and...
Malnutrition stunts millions of lives: UNICEF
  Some 165 million children worldwide are stunted by malnutrition as babies and face a future of ill health, poor education, low earnings and poverty, the head of the United Nations children's fund said on Friday.   Anthony Lake, executive director of UNICEF, told Reuters the problem of malnutrition is vastly under-appreciated,...
Occupation costs Palestinians 'billions'
  The Palestinian economy could expand by over a third if Israel were to lift its restrictions on about 60 percent of the West Bank that it controls, the World Bank said.   "More than half the land in the West Bank, much of it agricultural and resource rich, is inaccessible to...
What’s behind the protests in Turkey?
  Turkey has been at the center of global media attention due to protests across the country in recent weeks.   Demonstrators have expressed frustration with policies of the ruling party, which led to clashes with police in Istanbul's Gezi Park adjacent to the city's Taksim Square.   Al Jazeera's Jamal El Shayyal...
Israel prisoner release sparks re-arrest fear
  Palestinians fear many detainees scheduled for release will only have a brief taste of freedom.   Dalia Hatuqa Last Modified: 12 Aug 2013 15:17   Listen to this page using ReadSpeaker   Email Article   Print Article   Share article   Send Feedback   In 2011, 1,027 Palestinian prisoners were freed in exchange for Israeli soldier Gilad...
Related Classification
Copyright 2023-2025 - www.mreligion.com All Rights Reserved