Home
/
Isiam
/
Islamic World
/
Families leaving Eastern Ghouta take prize possessions
Families leaving Eastern Ghouta take prize possessions
May 20, 2026 4:50 PM

  Families who have left Damascus neighborhood for Idlib tell of taking their most precious possessions with them.

  Abu Jawad was among thousands of Syrians who left their homes and underground shelters in the shrinking opposition enclave of Eastern Ghouta to one of the last remaining opposition-held areas in northwest Syria.

  With dozens of daily convoys of buses making the 320km journey to the Idlib province since late March, families have been forced to take only the most essential items.

  "We left with nothing; we just took our feelings of despair and heartbreak with us," the 27-year-old from Hammoudia told Al Jazeera as he explained the pain of leaving the town he had grown up in his whole life.

  Abu Jawad fled Eastern Ghouta with his wife and 18-month-old daughter on March 28, less than a week after Faylaq ar-Rahman, the second-largest opposition force in the opposition enclave, reached a deal with the Syrian regime to evacuate fighters and civilians to Idlib.

  "Everything that means something to us, our homes, our lands ... we left that all behind," he said.

  The regime began its major offensive to take Eastern Ghouta on February 18, and split the opposition-held territory up on March 11.

  The fighting has left more than 1,600 dead, and caused immense damage to area's infrastructure, which has been pounded by the Syrian air force.

  Evacuation deal

  Last week, two opposition groups reached an evacuation deal with the Russian army, which resulted in at least 19,000 people leaving for the northern province of Idlib.

  Syrian families leaving to regime-held areas have been banned from taking any belongings at all, sources on the ground told Al Jazeera.

  On the other hand, those moving to opposition-held areas in northern Syria have reportedly been allowed a single small suitcase.

  Several families told Al Jazeera they believe taking the keys of their homes along with them will keep the memory of their lives in Eastern Ghouta alive.

  "I took the keys to the house we used to live in. That's the most important thing to me," Moayyad, 29, who left Zamalka last week with his wife, three brothers and their families, told Al Jazeera.

  Moayyad's neighbour, Abu Yahya, who also left Zamalka to Idlib, took the keys to his home, car, motorbike and even the kindergarten he used to run.

  "I took all these keys hoping that one day I'll return. Even if my home is demolished, this key will remain a testament to how we held on to Ghouta until the last minute."

  Like most civilians in Eastern Ghouta, Moayyad and Abu Yahya had been unable to live in their homes while they hid in underground shelters with their families for weeks, as the Syrian regime and Russian forces bombarded the enclave from the air.

  For photojournalist Moneim Eissa, 24, picture archives are the most important of his belongings.

  "My hard disks carry an archive of all the important memories; photos of Ghouta and of family and friends who were either killed or went missing," Eissa, who left Hammouria, told Al Jazeera.

  "Everything I'd built in Ghouta, my home and life, is gone. I have to start all over again, but at least this archive will keep the memory of things that mattered the most."

  In addition to his hard discs, Eissa took his camera and laptop, which he says are essential tools for any journalist.

  "Without them, I wouldn't be able to record events or report them to the world."

  Similarly, Abu Yahya told Al Jazeera that the only thing his elderly mother choose to take along with her was a large family photo album.

  Several families told Al Jazeera they kept their mobile phones for two reasons: to keep a record of their photos and to maintain communication with their loved ones.

  "I took my phone because it has hundreds of precious photos of Ghouta, and of my family and friends," Moayyad said.

  "It also keeps me connected to the people I know, who are now scattered around the world because of the war."

  Although Eissa has no plans of leaving Syria, he took his passport and personal papers with him.

  "In some ways, there's no point in carrying an identity card because it seems like we are trapped here regardless of where we flee," he said.

  "But I've kept my papers just in case they are needed to identify my body at some point."

  But for Abu Yahya, who took his high school certificates, his passport and other identity cards, these papers may come in handy if he were to leave Syria one day.

  "I might need my certificates and passport if I were to move to another country," he said.

  "My father even took the deed to his home which he's owned and lived in for most of his life."

  Abu Yahya also took a watch, which he says his mother gifted him when he was young.

  "I couldn't leave that watch behind. It holds too much sentimental value," he said.

  Children's clothes and toys

  Families with young children have prioritized taking supplies including nappies, food items, clothes and a few toys during their journey out of Ghouta.

  For Alaa, a mother of three disabled children, three toys were essential for keeping her children's moods stable during the journey to Idlib.

  "I took my 16-year-old daughter Nora's doll, a bag of plastic cubes for 10-year-old Mohamed, and a little music recorder that has always helped put my seven-year-old daughter Haneen to sleep," she told Al Jazeera.

  "I also took some clothes, nappies, some water and a few food items for the road," she added.

  Abu Jawad, on the other hand, told Al Jazeera he was unable to take any of his daughter's toys.

  "It was impossible to fit anything but the bare essentials," he said.

  For some Eastern Ghouta residents, however, nothing they could take would compensate for leaving their homes behind.

  "We've left our lands forever and there is no meaning in taking anything along," said 40-year-old Abdo Abu Badr, whose home, car and farm were all burned to ashes after an air raid targeted them.

  "Nothing will compensate for the loss that we felt as we said farewell to Ghouta."

  PHOTO CAPTION

  Residents from Eastern Ghouta collect their belongings after they reach the northwest province of Idlib [AFP]

  Source: Aljazeera.com

Comments
Welcome to mreligion comments! Please keep conversations courteous and on-topic. To fosterproductive and respectful conversations, you may see comments from our Community Managers.
Sign up to post
Sort by
Show More Comments
Islamic World
Palestinian families await prisoner exchange
  One thousand and twenty-seven Palestinians for one Israeli - this is the deal made between Hamas and Israel last week.   The agreement has been dubbed "the Shalit swap deal" - named after Gilad Shalit, the 25-year-old Israeli soldier who has been held in the Gaza Strip for more than five...
Foreign fighters support Israel's settlements
  Two weeks ago, an announcement appeared on a French website, calling for "militants with military experience" to participate in a solidarity trip to Israel between September 19 and 25. "The aim of this expedition is to lend a hand to our brothers facing aggression from the Palestinian occupiers, and to...
The tides of mosques
  Syrian protesters have been denied access to public spaces, such as the squares that have become famous in Yemen and Egypt. This has led to mosques playing an even greater role than they already would have.   With the number of dead from the uprising reaching possibly five thousand, funerals have...
Horrors in Hama
  A trainee doctor tells of the bloodshed he witnessed during the Syrian army's siege of the city of Hama.   The three young men were running to the Horany hospital to give blood when several shots rang out and 18-year-old Talha Khamees fell to the ground, his own dark blood spilling...
Fatal torture 'widespread' in Syrian jails
  Amnesty International says it has documented the cases of 88 people who have died in Syrian prisons since anti-government protests began in the country.   Citing footage of victims before burial provided by families and activists, the UK-based rights group said there was evidence of torture and abuse.   Injuries identified by...
Armed defenders of Syria's revolution
  While outsiders debate when or if the Syrian opposition will turn to arms, on the ground it is clear that elements of the opposition have used armed resistance against the security forces from early in the uprising in response to the regime's harsh crackdown.   Over a period of seven weeks,...
Survivor tells of mass killing
  From inside a makeshift prison across the street from Muammar Gaddafi’s compound, Osama Mansour el-Hadi listened to the beginning of the end.   It was Tuesday, and opposition forces had begun to overrun the sprawling 6km-square complex, known as the Bab al-Aziziya, where Gaddafi’s palace and the homes of his innermost...
Palestinians under pressure to drop UN bid
  The Palestinians have came under intense pressure to drop a bid for UN membership as diplomats worked behind the scenes to head off a looming clash.   Riyad al-Maliki, Palestinian foreign minister, said he was "amazed" by the US efforts to persuade other countries to not to support the Palestinian bid....
Libya survivor describes 1996 prison massacre
  Anwar Haraga was 26 when men from Libya's Internal Security agency came to his door in Tripoli one night.   It was 1989. Haraga was newly married and had just returned from five years of study in England. He was heading toward a promising career in computer engineering.   But Haraga had...
Tripoli celebrates first post-Gaddafi Eid
  Libyans in Tripoli's seaside Martyrs Square have marked the first post-Muammar Gaddafi celebration of Eid al-Fitr, coming out in huge numbers to revel in newly gained independence.   At dawn, thousands of men and about 200 women gathered on huge green carpets to make the special dawn prayer, intoning praise for...
Related Classification
Copyright 2023-2026 - www.mreligion.com All Rights Reserved