Home
/
Isiam
/
Islamic World
/
Amnesty slams US over Afghan civilian deaths
Amnesty slams US over Afghan civilian deaths
Aug 31, 2025 1:51 PM

  On September 16, 2012, at three in the morning, Mohammad Zahir Shah, received a phone call.

  There were air strikes in the mountains near his home in Lagham province.

  For the next two hours, Shah and fellow villagers waited for the shelling to come to an end. Then they set out looking for the dead and wounded.

  Seven were killed, including Shah's daughter, 22-year-old Khan Bibi, who was five months pregnant.

  "Just one of them had children," Shah told Al Jazeera. "All the others were very young; we are very upset about that. I lost my young daughter."

  The group of women had been out collecting wood that night. According to Shah, someone informed the US military that the Taliban district governor would be travelling the same route that night.

  US forces explained the air strike was a mistake - an extraordinary miscalculation.

  "Obviously it was a mistake, no one would bomb women," Shah said. "But they told us they would punish the killer, and they have not. We want justice."

  'Lack of accountability'

  The US military has failed to provide accountability, information, and transparency in the vast majority of military operations in Afghanistan resulting in the death and injury of Afghan civilians, according to a report released on August 11 by Amnesty International.

  The report compiled from a database of 70 incidences from 2009 to 2013, investigates 10 cases, in which at least 140 civilians, including 50 children, were killed by military operations across the country.

  "We found a shocking level of lack of accountability towards civilian casualties in Afghanistan, particularly in cases where US forces were involved," said Horia Mosadiq, a researcher at Amnesty International, who also noted a lack of transparency in the cases.

  "Many Afghans whose family members were killed or wounded by a military operation had no information to tell them who did it, why it happened and what was the proof that they or any of their family members were linked to the Taliban or insurgents."

  According to Amnesty International, US military investigators never showed up to interview the families or any eyewitnesses in nine out of ten cases.

  There are only six reported instances in which military forces have been criminally prosecuted for the unlawful killing of civilians.

  Removed bullets from bodies

  In February 2010, US Special forces raided the home of Haji Sharabuddin, a tribal elder in the Khataba village as he celebrated the birth of his grandson.

  The botched operation resulted in the killing of five civilians including two pregnant women.

  Before leaving the patriarch's home, US troops removed the bullets from the bodies of the victims and those stuck in the walls of the house.

  "I begged them not to touch the bodies of the women," Sharabuddin told Amnesty, explaining how he watched the soldiers use a metallic instrument to remove the bullets, "but they didn't listen".

  US senior officials later claimed the women were the victims of honor killings, or had possibly been killed by the Taliban.

  After two months of issuing false statements and discrediting journalists' reports, NATO finally took responsibility for the deaths.

  Admiral William McRaven, the commander of Joint Special Operations Command, visited the victims, bringing with him money and sheep, a customary gesture in the Pashtun culture when asking for forgiveness.

  Sharabuddin who lost several of his family members in the attack accepted the apology, but said what he wanted most was to see those guilty of the killings tried for their crimes.

  McRaven and the US embassy in Kabul declined to respond to questions sent by Al Jazeera regarding the case.

  The families of victims who saw some sort of accountability still said they felt justice had not been served.

  Panjwai massacre

  The Panjwai massacre, one of the most well-known incidents involves Robert Bales, a US Army Staff Sergeant serving with the Joint Base Lewis-McChord Stryker Brigade.

  After a night of drinking, Bales entered two Afghan villages and methodically killed 16 villagers in their sleep, mostly women and children.

  Last year, Bales avoided the death penalty and instead received life in prison without parole after pleading guilty to murder and assault.

  Mullah Boron, whose brother was killed in Panjwai, told Al Jazeera he now cares for his brothers' children and still suffers from psychological problems.

  "We are trying to work on our minds and bring change so that we feel better. My brother cannot come back," said Boron.

  "I have to explain this to the children and tell them this is the way of life; everybody dies, and it was a day of paradise. We can't do anything about it and we can't get anything from it."

  When asked if he felt they had received justice, Boron said: "100 percent not."

  "You think about it, 16 people were killed. I went to America twice to try and convince the Americans to execute Bales, but they told me they did not have this law.

  "If a member of the Taliban did this, they would kill the killer if he was guilty. If he was a thief, they would cut his hand off, but the Americans cannot kill a person who has killed 16 people. I expected that they would kill the killer and look after the children."

  Public animosity

  Civilian casualties by international troops during military operations send shock waves across the country - often resulting in large-scale demonstrations. They also play a crucial role in enhancing recruitment.

  According to human rights activist Nader Nadery, public reaction towards civilian casualties caused by international forces has always caused anger because of the expectations people have from the international forces to protection them - rather than harm them.

  "The people's reactions prompt the forces to carry out criminal investigations, and if these investigations are carried out, details of the outcome, most of the time, have not been released," said Nadery.

  "So the public is for the most part unaware of what happened in an incident. This has been one of my major points of advocacy all the time; these reports, and the results of these investigations need to be made public, and people need to know more about them."

  As US troops pull out of the country, concerns grow over holding organizations and agencies accountable, including the CIA, private contractors, and special forces who will remain in the country for intelligence gathering and military operations.

  Most advocates, victims and officials that spoke to Al Jazeera said chances are small that the family members of the victims killed in military operations in Afghanistan over the past decade will ever receive any sort of justice.

  "Unfortunately, looking into the violations and level of accountability that was provided, I see the chances are slim," said Mosadiq.

  "When you look at the extent of not only the civilian casualties, but also what I would call negligence - or somehow that US forces can get away with what they are doing - I am really surprised how US authorities can now claim that they are winning hearts and minds of Afghans which was the actual aim."

  "But, at the same time I am not hopeless."

  PHOTO CAPTION

  An Afghan villager points to a spot where a family was shot, allegedly by US soldier Staff Sergeant Robert Bales, in Kandahar province [AFP]

  Source: Aljazeera.com

Comments
Welcome to mreligion comments! Please keep conversations courteous and on-topic. To fosterproductive and respectful conversations, you may see comments from our Community Managers.
Sign up to post
Sort by
Show More Comments
Islamic World
UN blames Israel for Gaza attacks
  A United Nations inquiry into the war in Gaza has found that Israel was to blame for at least seven direct attacks on UN operations - including schools and medical centers.   The UN report, commissioned by Ban Ki-moon, the UN secretary-general, said the Israeli military intentionally fired at UN facilities...
Bangladesh's toxic legacy
  Much of Bangladesh's water contains dangerous quantities of arsenic, a toxic compound that cripples human organs and can eventually lead to death.   The country is now scrambling to reverse what the World Health Organization (WHO) calls "the largest mass poisoning in history", but it will not be an easy task....
Somalia crisis 'Africa's worst'
  The "very dire" humanitarian crisis in Somalia is the worst in Africa for many years, says Oxfam's coordinator for the failed Horn of Africa state.   Many of its hundreds of thousands of internally-displaced people, the world's largest such concentration, have little food or shelter, he said.   Mogadishu civilians have been...
Photos show rape and sex abuse in Iraq jails
  Photographs of Iraqi prisoner abuse which U.S. President Barack Obama does not want released include images of apparent rape and sexual abuse, Britain's Daily Telegraph newspaper reported on Thursday.   The images are among photographs included in a 2004 report into prisoner abuse at Abu Ghraib prison conducted by U.S. Major...
'Go back and die in Gaza'
  Since Israel's closure of the Gaza Strip in 2007, only severely sick Palestinians have been allowed to seek medical attention elsewhere provided they receive authorization and security clearances from the Israeli authorities.   However, getting the special permit that allows patients to leave Gaza for medical treatment is a bureaucratic hassle...
Lebanon's Palestinian refugees
  In 1948 hundreds of thousands of Palestinians were expelled from or forced to flee their homeland in the wake of the creation of the state of Israel.   While some were forced out by armed Israeli militias - perhaps the most notorious being the Irgun and Stern gangs - others fled...
The hidden agenda – disintegrating Pakistan
  When common people use to say that, “America’s hidden agenda is to counter the nuclear program of Pakistan and take it under their control,” it was termed as the height of fanaticism & slogans of religious fanatics.   Since when US secretary of state Hillary Clinton has said, “Pakistan’s government had...
White Phosphorus? Concern over burns on Afghans caught in battle
  Afghanistan's leading human rights organization said Sunday it was investigating the possibility that white phosphorus was used in a U.S.-Taliban battle that killed scores of Afghans. The U.S. military rejected speculation it had used the weapon.   White phosphorus can be employed legitimately in battle, but rights groups say its use...
'1.4 million people displaced in Pakistan valley'
  The number of people displaced by fighting in Pakistan's northwestern Swat valley has risen to more than 1.4 million, U.N. humanitarian chief John Holmes said on Monday.   "The situation is volatile and changing rapidly," Holmes told reporters at the United Nations.   He said extra financial resources were urgently needed to...
'Witness for Jesus' in Afghanistan
  US soldiers have been encouraged to spread the message of their Christian faith among Afghanistan's predominantly Muslim population, video footage obtained by Al Jazeera appears to show.   Military chaplains stationed in the US air base at Bagram were also filmed with bibles printed in the country's main Pashto and Dari...
Related Classification
Copyright 2023-2025 - www.mreligion.com All Rights Reserved